- Floating point number systems, or Why do we worry about Numerical Analysis?
- Numerical root-finding, or How do we solve cos(x)=x ?
- Systems of linear equations using Gaussian Elimination and decomposition methods
- Interpolation and curve fitting, or If it looks like a parabola, it might be a cubic!
- Numerical integration
By the end of this course, you should be able to
- Understand and explain what a “floating point number system” is
- Identify root finding algorithms, and state the properties of basic algorithms, and when they can be used.
- Outline the algorithm for Gaussian Elimination.
- Know the different types of curve fitting - Lagrange polynomial interpolation, splines.
- Know several numerical integration techniques.